South Africa's first complete dinosaur fossil was excavated in this area and dinosaur discoveries take place from time to time. In 1814 a number of farms were allocated to Afrikaner and British settlers in the lower Sundays River valley.
As farming activities in the lower Sundays River intensified, the Addo farmers came into conflict with the local elephants which were very destructive of their crops. Eventually, a professional hunter was engaged to exterminate them. In 1931 there were only eleven elephants remaining when, fortunately, the government stepped in and created a sanctuary.
Today, the park now known as the Addo Elephant National Park, has grown to some 125 000 hectares and is well on the way to becoming much larger still - about 400 000 hectares. The elephant herd now numbers over 400, a tribute to the long-term efforts of conservation.
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: